Back

It has been a long time since I have posted here. Instagram is so much easier these days, but it feels like time to share some images from what has become my 'second' camera.

A lot has happened over the past year and coming here is actually quite hard and strange. I had intended to turn this blog into a travel diary as back in August, we changed our life completely. Sold lots of our stuff, put the remainder into storage, bought an old Hymer van, moved into it - us and our three children. It all felt a bit crazy, but extremely exciting.

We left the UK on a ferry to Spain, travelled the Basque Country and the French and Spanish Pyrenees. We headed south to Barcelona, taking in three months of the most breathtaking views we had ever seen. We felt free, we felt like we were doing something good for our family. Together, living consciously - mostly offgrid with very low outgoings. But...

But then it was over in a flash. It's a long story, but the basics are that our income comes from Seventy Tree and we left the sending of orders in the hands of a company that completely messed up. So badly, we had no choice but to return, pick up the pieces (literally) and be forced back into the life we had put everything into leaving behind us. Of course there are some kind of nice things about returning. It's nice to be back near to family and friends again, to make yet another nest for our family in a new area which we really like. Maisie understandably missed her friends. She's 15 now, so leaving them behind and spending 24/7 with her two younger brothers and parents was always going to be a bit of a challenge...However, she got so much from our travels and I'm really proud of her. I'm proud of us all, but I'm also sad that it didn't work out. Sad that we tried to break out of 'the norm' and then 'the norm' sucked us back in. I don't like that at all.

So our plan now is to recoup, recharge and continue with Seventy Tree as before. Being together as much as we can be is still our priority. Lots of people have asked if/when the children are going back to school, but we're not sending them back. We never intended to. This feels right for us and our children. To be led by their passions, creativity and curiosity. To give them freedom and trust in them to blossom into happy human beings (we hope!) with the confidence to achieve whatever they want in life.

I could go on, but that's enough for now. I'll post some more pictures soon as looking at the photos from our trip, the place names are fading from my memory and I don't like that.

See you soon.

6 comments:

  1. I was so sorry to hear how it ended for you all. It took so much guts to go do what you did and then to lose it like that must have been heartbreaking. But like you say, you have to look to the future and regroup. I'm happy to have you back here (like old times!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about how it ended but at least you had the guts to go out there and try it! And just because it didn't happen this time doesn't mean it can't happen again sometime in the future... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to read your words while I'm back to work and "normal rhythm" too... that kind of adventure seems so beautiful to me, your family nest is precious! I'm so sorry that it was not ending as you expected, and so happy also to see that you follow your way, not sending back your children to school... my dream also... Thanks a lot for sharing your words here!!! xxxo Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did, we would love to do the same but sadly can't, but our son is homeschool now and even though for some people is hard to understand he is more happy and relax, this world lately is so complicated and so full of stress that this things are great and important to do. Hopefully one day you guys can do that again for as long you guys want. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't looked at my blog for a looong time, so hadn't caught up on blogs for a while either so missed all of this. Wow, what an experience and I'm so sad for you all that it didn't work out. Are you still in Devon? All the best xx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive